Friday, December 23, 2016

Family Stuff

Since I didn't take any time off before the actual holiday, I felt a bit rushed for Christmas.  It's 3 days away and I hadn't bought any presents, and I didn't do anything special with the kids.  So when my mother-in-law wanted to take Claire caroling, I thought it was a great idea.  And Claire, my little superstar, was so down for that.  She even wore a tiara!


I didn't go because it was more fun to stay warm indoors, drink wine, and make fun of people who go door to door and sing actual Christmas carols for the neighbours.

My dad's birthday was the next night, and I wanted to take him out to dinner, but due to an unexpected and unfortunate family situation, he cooked for us instead.  Huge tempura prawns.  And we had sushi and sake.  It was just so typical of Gramps, let me tell you.  And then Claire bossed everyone around during a game of matching.



The week ended with a bang, literally, because on the first day of my 10-day vacation, I got a phone call that scared the crap out of me.  DP mumbling that he was in a car accident.  I barely got the location of the wreck before we disconnected, but I knew it was close because he had just left the house.  So I raced down there and couldn't believe the scene.  And that he was alive.  It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced.




He kept saying he was fine but was bleeding from his head.  And I know if he wasn't driving that big-ass rental, he could have been seriously hurt, or worse.  We got really lucky.  And after I made sure he was going to be okay, I wondered how much time he would be spending at home because of this.  Talk about cramping my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment